Japanese photographer Yuya Matsuo (26) has been living and taking photos in Europe for the past two years, he is probably the only photographer more famous in Europe then in Japan. Actually, they haven't hear about him at all, because he came to the idea of photographing a year and a half ago as geology student when he traveled across Budapest. He met many young people in the capital of Hungary who travel and work as free artists around the world, so he dared to do the same...
Social networks contributed to his popularity where one could see his works, but also because of colors he captured, the moment, or something third, only known to him, there is no one in the region who is not amazed by his amateur photography.
- I love walking and when i see something specific, i take a photo. Sometimes i find a certain spot, i wait for something to happen or someone to pass by. For example, the St Sava temple on Vracar has been photographed many times, but not the moments i captured - said for Telegraf Matsuo.
There are many colors and shades on your photos. Are you using any effects?
- No, i am not using anything, no filters. I publish the photos as they are.
Is there anything you refuse to photo?
No, i take any photo, but i do not publish everything. In one of the states i have been in, i took a photo of something very disgusting, and people said they can not watch the photo. Since then, i decided not to publish those kinds of pictures. And there are already too much negative and bad things in the world...
What does Belgrade look like through the camera lens?
- Belgrade is photogenic, it's nice to take photos of it.
How did you decide to come to Belgrade again and how long are you staying this time?
- I was here for the first time in February and i liked the people, they are kind and i had lots of nice experiences with them, and they are so different. Since there was bad weather in February i wasn't able to see the whole city, i decided to come again at the summer time and here i am. I have been here for two weeks and i will probably stay till the end of the month.
How do you like Serbs?
- I have great experiences with Serbs. Earlier when i was looking for a certain building, i asked the first man that was passing by. At first he started explaining to me, and then he just said: "Come, ill take you there", and he did. He just said "Cao", turned around and walked away. I was fascinated by that.
Is that unusual?
Well, i did not expect of him to take me there and to be so polite... It was really impressive and my first experience with someone from Serbia. From the start it was great.
— Yuya Matsuo (@EseJapan) July 16, 2016
What are you doing in Belgrade when you are not taking photos? - I relax in walks and i coffee shops. I met few people that i keep in touch.
Do you like our food? - Yes, i like Cevapi the most.
— Yuya Matsuo (@EseJapan) July 15, 2016
What will you remember from here? - The sunset i saw on Kalemegdan, especially that one day. I wasn't able to make the best pictures, but i really enjoyed it. What is your next destination? - Albania, i haven't been there yet.
What country or the place is the most beautiful that you have been so far?
- Budapest, i have lived there the longest and i know much about it. And it's not far from here, i can take a train.
What do your parents think about your decision to travel?
Actually, i have been with my mother the last month. She actually lives in Europe and i see her a lot. She agrees with what i am doing.
Can you live from photography alone?
- Well, i am trying. I take photos of hotel interiors and private properties and that is good because i can travel a lot. Usually, when i am in some city, local tourist agencies hire me. I recently started shooting portraits - reveals this young Japanese.
Watch what it was like with Matsuo:
(Telegraf.co.uk / Sladjana Vasic)