On the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the Athletic Federation of Serbia and the promotion of the book "Athletic jewels of Serbia" by Stevan Kovacevic, the world's athletics cream arrived in Belgrade, where Veselin Jevrosimovic, the president of the Athletic Federation of Serbia, hosted them.
President of the AFS greeted the guests and said that Serbia has had the most successful period in the history of the Federation, and that all major goals have been fulfilled and that the athletics has been raised from its knees to be the real "queen of sports".
- World athletics cream arrived in Belgrade, I salute Lord Sebastian Coe, president of the European Athletic Federation, Svein Arne Hansen, as well as the president of the Balkan Federation, Dobromir Karamarinov.
- I am proud that we have fulfilled all the goals in the last years, one of the main was infrastructure. We have constructed athletic halls and stadiums, this is the first time in history that we have so many successful athletes, with this much medals. We have raised the queen of sports from its knees, the become the true queen. And in this honor we have published the book "Athletic jewels of Serbia" - said Veselin Jevrosimovic.
Dobromir Karamaranov said that Serbia will be organizing three events this year under the auspices of the Balkan Federation.
- San Marino is the 19th member of the Balkan Federation. It is a real fortune for us to have so many countries under the auspices. A calendar has already been created. There will be norms for participation, it's new, but countries are smaller will have their own quota, so they can participate in the competition. There will be three competitions in Serbia under our auspices - Serbia City Marathon, Balkan Junior Championships and Balkan Gala, where the best Balkan athletes will be selected - said the President of the Balkan Athletics Federation.
The president of the European Athletics Federation, Sven Arne Hansen, also addressed the public who is convinced that Serbia will soon be the candidate for the organization of the biggest athletic open competitions.
- A month and a half ago, I was at the European championship in Berlin and it was the best-organized European Open Championship, but I was also in Belgrade last year when the best European Indoor Championship was organized. The organization of the European Championship in Serbia was phenomenal, I was delighted with love for athletics that was shown here, 9.000 fans remained for the medal award ceremony at the closing of the competition and I saw how much this country loves athletics.
- I am sure that Belgrade is a serious candidate, after the construction of an athletic stadium and infrastructure, to organize not only an open European Championship but also for the World Championship.
The president of the World Athletic Federation, Sebastian Coe, said that he supports Serbia in the candidacy for the organization of the World Indoor Championship in 2022.
- Belgrade had a great candidacy for 2020, but it was not selected and I would like for the AFS and the government of Serbia to continue thinking in that direction in their desire to organize such a championship.
- Right after that decision, I approached Jevrosimovi and I continued supporting the 2022 candidacy. When we chose such a great competition we take care of how much the government supports that sport and the organization of such competition. I was here after that and I gave full support to Serbia to continue with the candidacy for such competition - Sebastian Coe said.
We asked Svein Arne Hansen about the organization of the marathon in Serbia, and whether he was familiar with the problem that existed in the organization of the Belgrade Marathon and unpaid athletes.
- It is not an easy question to answer. We are working together on that with former organizers, who have to pay the money to the athletes, that is unacceptable for athletics. But I saw that the Serbia City marathon is now being prepared on November 4th and I know that it will be a great marathon organized by AFS and I'm sure there will be no such problems - Hansen said.
For the end, Veselin Jevrosimovic greeted a great friend of Serbia.
- Among us is the president of the Indian Athletic Federation, Mr. Adille Sumariwalla, who is a great friend of Serbia and a member of the World Athletic Federation, which helps us a lot in the decisions that are made within the IAAF - said Jevrosimovic.
(Telegraf.co.uk / S.G. / D.U.)