Team Telegraf embarked on the task in Pancevo, and then, to put it mildly, was shocked when in the middle of the main street ran into a wooden house drawn by two horses.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK – Telegraf English, or write to us: email@example.com
The cute horses, As and Altes, and even more charming hosts Mahti and Irene quickly put on a smile on our faces and the nervousness about traffic jam due to this unusual car just disappeared.
Swiss Mahti and Irene are now probably the bravest people on the planet, some might say the craziest, because they replaced the safety and warmth of home in Switzerland by this house, with which in the "Project Mongolia" they are crossing half the world.
- We lived in Switzerland. I was a shepherd and a farmer, and Mahti is a biologist, an expert on wildlife. Last year we just decided to take a trip to Mongolia and now here we are in Serbia. Mongolia is a land of herders and nomads and we believe it will be interesting to us, and if we like it, who knows, maybe we will stay there - says Irene.
This couple does not travel alone. In addition to horses they have two dogs, Vita and Valdo. They brought little Vita from Switzerland, and found Alsatian Valdo on the way.
- Valdo is our protection, he showed he is capable to take care of us. It was not a difficult decision to leave the former life and move into the unknown. We just came up one day to buy the horses, build a house and move. Mahti works during this trip on one of his research project of wild animals that he will publish later. It is nicer like this for us, we learn about the world and different cultures. In Serbia, we will stay at least ten days, then we are going to Romania, and then further to Turkey where we are going to figure out which way to take to Mongolia - says Irene.
They say that police often stops them although on the back side of the house they have properly set yellow flashing light that warns drivers to slow down.
- They ask us where we are going, seeking confirmation that the motor-house can be used in traffic... However they always let us and wish a safe trip. The biggest problem we had with the police in Serbia and Croatia who were unable to instruct us to the byroads, so we had to take the highway which is not safe, and it is not convenient for As and Altes - explains Mahti.
Entry into Serbia was not easy at all. Five times they were not allowed to cross the border from Hungary to our country.
- In the EU countries it was easy, since there are no borders.
- When we arrived at the border of Hungary and Serbia the problems occurred. We had to contact the Serbian consulate in Switzerland, followed by the Embassy of Switzerland in Serbia, but in the end we got the necessary documents. In the meantime, we went to Croatia, from where we finally came to Serbia. We waited at the border-crossing from Croatia to Serbia for nine hours, which was very tiring for the horses - adds Mahti.
But all the discomfort was quickly forgotten as soon as As and Altes set foot on Serbian soil.
- People in Serbia are great. They give us presents and food wherever we arrive. They gave us a plum brandy to drink for the road, it's great. Serbian sausages are excellent also. Serbs have open heart and open mind, we feel nice here. Therefore, we will not hurry away, and perhaps we will stay longer than ten days. After that we will go to Romania, and to Turkey, and then we will see which direction to take to Mongolia - says Irene.
Irene and Mahti from Sid, over Belgrade, arrived in Pancevo. In the video below watch how they see travel through Serbia and Belgrade