Since the beginning of euphoria to disappointment. The atmosphere is Serbia can be easily described like that on occasion of Trump election for the 45th President of the United States. Part of Serbia hoped that Trump will at least return Kosovo to Serbia. However, every step that Trump made, as well as his administration, could be taken as a slap in a face, and some as a support to Belgrade. But that is not it. As some analysts say, what is about to come will hurt us even more.
In November last year, Serbia awaited the results of the presidential elections in US with excitement. Hated Clinton by Serbia family won't have their representitive at the head of the most powerful state of the world. "Balkan brother in law" won, the one who will come to terms with Putin and Russia and bring Kosovo back to Serbia.
This is the shortest amateur understanding of the most important elections in the world and the consequences for the world policy. Various billboards and graffiti gave support to Trump as "Trump the Serbian".
And then shock! And one after the other. First, new Minister of Defense was James Mattis sad that before the US reduces their forces on Kosovo, Kosovo has to receive a mandate to to defend their country.
Personal Trump congratulation to Hashim Thaci followed in the same tone for the 1 year of Kosovo independence, while Nikki Haley gave new wind under the wings for Pristina. She said that Kosovo deserves to take their part in the international community, including the full membership in the United Nations.
Icing on the cake, and a slap to Serbia was delivered by Trump himself. President of the Kosovo Assembly Kadri Veseli announced on his Facebook page that he had a meeting in Washington with US President.
It seems that all Serbian hopes disappeared with latest Trump's moves that there will be any changes in american policy towards Kosovo. However, some analysts sat that our hopes that are gone are not the greatest challenge that awaits us.
- The foreign policy of any country is leading towards the strategies that are adopted, doctrines, laws, decisions of the parliamentary committees, let alone in America, which has built an institutional apparatus for decision-making, management policies and for implementing them - Dusan Prorokovic explained to Telegraf, director of the Center of strategic alternatives, the root of Serbian misconceptions.
He notes that the US president does not change the decision of the Congress and Senate, as well as what his predecessors did in previous 25 years.
- He can initiate some changes, but to make change happen, time is necessary. I did not expect that Trump will do anything on Kosovo, because it is a peripheral issue in Washington - notes Prorokovic.
He adds that the Trump's policy moves by inertia. Dusan Janjic agrees, director of the Forum for Ethnic Relations, who said to our portal that people are not aware that the US president, whoever he is, can not change national strategy.
- US President is the only one of the factors in the whole story. He largely shaped state policy, but can not rewrite it and he will be replaced if he does that - says Janjic.
Janjic thinks the Trump and his administration insist on the completion of the Kosovo issue and the formation of the army of Kosovo. Janjic concern is shared by Milovan Drecun, chairman of the Parliamentary Committee for Kosovo and Metohija.
Drecun for Telegraf.rs says that Trumps moves and the moves of his closest associates indicates that the US would continue with the policy of recognizing the self-proclaimed independence of Kosovo.
- They went a step further, unfortunately. They seem to prepare a political offensive against Serbia and all countries that have not recognized the independence of the southern province of Kosovo to become a member of the UN - says Drecun.
He said that he warned that massive improvement with Washington would happen of Trump gave up from the pressure on Serbia to recognize Kosovo and to open the doors of the UN to them.
- Now it looks like this policy will be exacerbated, it seems that we will face their more open requests to recognize Kosovo as a state and to open the membership to UN which wasn't the case before - said Drecun.
He adds that American knew how sensitive question was Kosovo to us, but it looks like Trump is going further.
(Telegraf.co.uk / M.Ivas firstname.lastname@example.org)