Mayor of Belgrade, Sinisa Mali, President of the Football Association of Serbia, Slavisa Kokeza, and President of the City Assembly Nikola Nikodijevic, talked with representatives of the design house "Fenwick Iribarren Architects" who will produce the project for the construction of the national stadium.
It is a design house that has been working on a large number of stadiums in Europe and in the world according to the UEFA standards.
- This is the first meeting where several potential locations for the construction of a new national stadium were presented, the meeting was announced by the President of the Republic of Serbia, Aleksandar Vucic. Immediately after the selection of the site, the design stage will begin, so the construction could start in the second part of the next year. The city of Belgrade, together with the FAS, will form a special working body that will deal only with it - said Sinisa Mali.
He added that it is very important that Belgrade has a proper sports infrastructure, so the city can be host to the great sports events.
- This is one of the largest infrastructure projects in the city, which will change the image of Belgrade drastically. Taking in consideration that we predict the construction of the stadium for 60.000 people, which is a serious capacity, the Champions League, and Europa League games can be hosted there.
- That is precisely our goal, for Belgrade to get one modern stadium where sports events can be held according to the highest criteria of UEFA, in order for Belgrade to be the host of the finals of Champions League or Europa League - concluded the mayor of Belgrade.
The National Stadium of Serbia should be made according to the model of the new stadium of Espanyol, but with a larger capacity, up to 60,000 places.
The president of FAS Slavisa Kokeza marked that the construction of this kind of stadium is necessary considering that the football in Europe and the World is developing.
- We face higher demands each year when it comes to the stadium functionality and criteria to organize games in the qualifications for the world and European championships. We should not forget that new international competition begins next year, the League of nations.
- We are unfortunately far behind the European stadiums by standard and we have to change that. The construction of the new stadium is a necessity in the way that football is currently developing. Thanks to the city of Belgrade, the state, and UEFA who will participate in the realization of this project, where FAS will invest its maximum in every way possible - said the president of Football Association of Serbia, Slavisa Kokeza.
The meeting was also attended by the main city urbanist Milutin Folic.
The plan is to start construction in 2018 and Serbia to get the National Stadium by the end of 2020. Makisko polje was mentioned as one of the possible locations, that is, the large space that is provided after the overpass for the Cukarica slope, but UEFA designers will determine which location meets the standards.
Another location that was mentioned is Zeleznik, and the third is in the suburb Ivan Ribar in New Belgrade.