Donna Phillips Wilson, an American who was in Serbia last week, wrote 13 things why all tourists should visit our beautiful country. She published her thoughts on the social network Facebook and she got a lot of likes, from people from Serbia and America.
- I finally managed to go through 1.000 photos which I made in Serbia. This travel was the experience I will remember my entire life and I will share several incredible impressions which seem to be a special Serbian Culture.
1. Lunch is never before 2 PM. Never! And it usually lasts for hours. I always start enjoying with the band that plays domestic music and they never make pauses. All the residents sing heartily and even those who don't know the Serbian music have the desire to join them.
2. Serbian food Piramide is simple and there are only three basic food groups: Dairy, meat, and bread.
3. Rakija is medicine for everything. That is alcohol made from plums, which is drunk in small glasses, like a shot. It looks like all Serbs made their own rakija in the workshop "in the backyard". I am not sure whether I want to drink it or I want to spit it since it is so strong, so I did both. You knock with glasses, you close your eyes and say "Ziveli" (cheers).
4. Locals drink water from public drinking fountains and they fill the bottles with water, it is believed that they deeply believe in healing properties of the sources near churches.
5. Serbs value owning of the house, especially to pass it over to their children, but unusually, many don't live in them because they work abroad. They enjoy decorating their homes, like a hobby.
6. Graffities are everywhere. In some places, it looks like art, and in some other, it is hard seeing such an old building "tattoed" all over.
7. History will stun you. The historical artifacts are shown up close, without glass boxes and alarms.
8. 1 hour in the USA = 3 hours in Serbia
9. Time is fluid, just like our plans. You have to learn to find your way in every situation. That is how life will reward you with unexpecting experiences and new great opportunities like this one.
10. Meals are massive. What you think that is the entire meal is just an appetizer... You have 8 more meals after that. Make room in your stomach.
11. Serbian people are proud and hospitable. They went through many wars and they have some stereotypes they deeply believe in. They are capable of repressing those memories in order to be kind hosts to everyone. While their country is passing through the former communist country into the one searching for the opportunity to have prosperity, I presume the caution will fade away with time.
12. Serbia is a country of rich history, sincere people and extremely smart and talented people, like scientist Nikola Tesla and tennis player Novak Djokovic. They are all very tall and very big.
13. Serbia is simply put the place everybody should visit and experience. When you do it, you will start counting days when will you come back. I am attracted to everything. I can't decide if it's the people, history, or it's beauty... I presume all three are the reasons why I can't wait to return here - concluded Donna.
While staying in Belgrade, Donna met Prince Aleksandar II Karadjordjevic and Princess Katarina Karadjordjevic, and she said that they are smiling, positive and hospitable people, like everybody else.
More and more foreign tourist mark Serbia as a destination which should be visited! Thanks to Donna for sharing her positive impressions with all of us.
(Telegraf.co.uk / Ivana Trisic)